Sunday, March 13, 2011

Unbalanced


Two scenarios:

#1

Harold: Oh, Myrtle. I love you so much. I will follow you to the ends of the earth. I just love to be in your presence.

Myrtle: I love you, too. I am so happy that you love me so much. Harold, would you do something for me?

Harold: I would do anything for you, Myrtle. You are so amazing, so wonderful, I am not worthy of your love. I love the way you feel, the way you sound, the way you make me feel. All I am is yours!

Myrtle: I'm so glad you feel that way. Harold, I just heard from a friend that is hurt. She needs to be picked up and taken to the hospital. We both need to stay with her for a while and just make sure that she is not left alone. I'll be right with you, but I need you to get ready and drive us there now.

Harold: But being here with you is so wonderful. I don't want to go out or go away from this feeling, right here, right now! Oh how I love you and love the way it feels to love you.

Myrtle: I know. You already said that. But I need you to go do this now. She is waiting and time is of the essence. She needs help NOW.

Harold: Oh, Myrtle. The sound of your voice is like music to my soul. You are so beautiful! Just let me bask in your presence.

Myrtle: Harold, do you love me?

Harold: Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

Myrtle: Then GO! My friend is in danger!

Harold: I think my place is here, with you. I never want to leave your side.

Myrtle: I told you I will be right with you. We need to go before it is too late!

Harold: Oh, the sweet smell of your skin. It thrills me to be so near to you.

Myrtle: Harold, I am starting to feel like you really don't love me after all. If you love me, you would do what I have asked of you. Someone I care about is in danger and all you can think about is how you feel right now. If you love me, go save my friend.


#2

Myrtle: Harold, I love you.

Harold: I know you do sweetie. I love you, too.

Myrtle: Harold, can you some spend some time with me?

Harold: I will after a bit. I have some errands to run.

---Harold returns from his errands---

Myrtle: Harold, could you spend some time with me now? I miss you.

Harold: I know, I'm just a little busy right now. I have to clean out the rain gutters and fix the car. Then maybe I'll have some time.

---Harold finishes his jobs---

Myrtle: Harold, now will you spend time with me? I really need to spend time with you. It's been months since we had any time together.

Harold: Leave me alone! Can't you see I'm reading the newspaper? Nag, nag, nag! Why can't you give me a moment of peace and quiet?

Myrtle: Harold, please! Don't you care about me anymore?My heart breaks because you don't seem to love me anymore. You are so busy with anything and everything else that you have forgotten about me. Please, just come spend an hour with me. Let's talk, just be with each other, no distractions. Please? Just once? Set aside some time for me?

Harold: I don't have time for your whining right now. I'm too busy. The guys and I already planned to go out tonight. They're waiting for me right now.


Do either of these sound familiar? Both are out of balance. The Lord wants us to make time to build a relationship with him, to worship him, to get to know him, but he also wants us to not just hear the beautiful sound of His voice, but to obey it, to act, and to go reach out to others instead of make our time of worship a feel-good grave of self-indulgence in the name of God. We can get stuck in what feels good to the point that we never want to leave it to go reach out to the lost. When we do that, we become no good to anybody else and become useless to God. We need to realize that he follows us wherever he sends us. He will still be there as we are obeying his voice. When he says to go, he is going with us. We can worship and live a life of true worship and show him how much we really love him by obeying him, not just giving him lip service.

We can also become so busy doing, doing, doing, that we neglect our relationship with him, putting him aside, taking for granted that he will always be right there, and in so doing, our relationship grows cold, hurting him, hurting ourselves, and making our busy lives meaningless.

The key is to find balance between the extremes. Know God personally. Spend time with him constantly. Know his voice, and obey. The Bible says to be doers of the Word and not hearers only. It also tells of Mary and Martha. Mary chose to sit at the feet of Jesus and hear his teaching, while Martha kept herself busy serving. Mary made the wiser choice. We need to know when to do, and when to be. Don't get stuck in one or the other, but balance them out evenly. They are both vital to a healthy relationship with God.


2 comments:

  1. Good stuff...I'm much more #2. :( Thanks for the good reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too, Sarah. I felt convicted as I wrote it!

    ReplyDelete